The Fort George Hotel & Marina

Hotel History
null

At the end of World War II, Churchill was voted out of office and the new Labour Government set up the Colonial Development Corporation (CDC) and declared it would dismantle the Empire just as soon as the CDC made the Colonies economically independent.

Some time later, Belize, known then as British Honduras, got the promise of the Fort George Hotel, all 35 rooms of it, and a promise that the Home Government would not devalue the British Honduras dollar.

It took four long years to build the Fort George Hotel, partly because the building’s foundation was a construction nightmare. Belize City is built on a swamp. There is nothing but mud down the depth of 15-25 ft. Pilings must be driven down to rock bottom if any building of concrete is not to sink.

The room rate at the Fort George Hotel was $10.00 US per day and included three full meals. An English High-Tea at four o’clock in the afternoon was $1.50US. The lunch and dinner in those far-off days was a seven course meal, literally from soup to nuts. If you were not a guest at the hotel the meal cost $2.55 US

It was during 1954 the Colony of British Honduras got a new Constitution that provided for the Universal Adult Suffrage. The voters list jumped from 1,400 to 22, 000 and the Colony was off on a slow, but steady journey to Independence, The Fort George tried to keep pace.

History Gallery

null

Fort George Hotel Dateline

1952

Construction on the Hotel is completed by the Colonial Development Corporatio

1953

The Fort George Hotel opened to the publicfort_george_history

1961

Hurricane Hattie destroys parts of the hotel

1977

On the 25th Anniversary of the opening of the hotel, two Royal Air Force Harrier jets performed a salute and flew past in the presence of the CDC Deputy Operations Chief from London, Mr. Bruce Boguslawski.

1978

Mr. Paul Hunt signs an agreement to operate the Fort George Hotel

1985

The hotel is acquired by Belize Hotels Limited with Mr. Paul as the sole owner

1989

The famous Club Tower is built by Johnston International

fort_george_history02

1990

Joined the Fort George Hotel and Marina Corporation in franchise owner manager agreement

1993

The Holiday Inn Hotel was acquired by owners and became part of the Fort George Hotel and Marina Fort George Hotel & Marina as the “Villa Wing”

1995

Grand 6.5 Million dollar renovation of public areas and the Colonial rooms

1995

Hotel receives Fort George Hotel and Marina’s Excellence in Design and Renovations

1995

Fort George Hotel and Marina Fort George Hotel is presented with the Fort George Hotel and Marina Hotels & Resorts Worldwide “best of the best” President’s wards

1996

Presented with this year’s Advocates Award by Fort George Hotel and Marina Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

1997

Presented with this year’s President Award by Fort George Hotel and Marina Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

1998

The Villa Wing rooms are renovated

1999

Once again the Advocates Award is presented to the Hotel

2000

The Club Tower rooms are renovated

2000

Once again the Advocates Award is presented to the Hotel

2000

Hotel receives award for the Highest Increase in Revenue Per Available Room at the Fort George Hotel and Marina Annual Business Conference in Hong Kong

2001

Advocates Award

2002

Hotel receives the Award of Appreciation in Recognition for Promoting 100% Belizean Arts & Crafts Association from the BCCI – National Handicraft center of Belize

2002

Fort George Hotel and Marina ranked among the best business travel hotels in Latin America by the readers of Latin Finance, a leading finance and investment magazine

2010

Hotel gets 1st runner up for University of Belize, Green Business Awards